Popular Public Radio Show Searches for New Topics
Sarah McConnell recently visited Norfolk State . . . on a scouting mission. McConnell is the host and producer of the radio show “With Good Reason,” sponsored by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and aired on public radio stations across the country. Faculty that were interested in discussing their research, new textbook, recently published journal article, student engagement techniques and success stories, etc. were invited to the meeting, which was held February 6. The following faculty and/or staff members participated by pitching potential topics to the show’s producer:
- Carrie Brown (Stith Student Success Center) – Brown is running a very interesting program for our students and the community involving bees and apiaries.
- William Alexander (History) – Alexander spoke about the aftermaths of the Haitian Revolution which are still being felt today, two centuries later.
- Cassandra Newby-Alexander (History) – Newby-Alexander discussed her ongoing work on the Underground Railroad and our port, along with other topics.
- Colita Fairfax (Social Work) – Fairfax discussed her work on the history of African American women in Virginia, especially in the Hampton/Newport News area. From another story in this publication, Dr. Fairfax also helped write a book on Hampton history.
- Jennifer Malia (English) – Malia spoke about her study of the word terrorism and the concept as depicted in literature such as in Joseph Conrad’s The Secret Agent.
- Kay Wright Lewis (History) – Lewis talked about her upcoming book on Race Wars along with that concept in history.
- Jason Sawyer (Social Work) – Sawyer also talked about his community work and related it to problems of environmental racism in the Richmond area.
McConnell and her producer colleague seemed very interested in all of the topics and responded with great enthusiasm. Each week on “With Good Reason,” McConnell takes the audience on a fascinating journey as she examines a wide range of topics with leading scholars. The show is available as a podcast and broadcast on public radio stations across Virginia, as well as in Alaska, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, among others. “With Good Reason” has won five Gabriel Awards for Best Documentary or Public Affairs Programs and is also the recipient of top honors from the Public Radio News Directors, Radio and Television Digital News Association and the Virginia Association of Broadcasters. The show airs in Norfolk on Sundays at 7 a.m. on WHRV 89.5 FM.